Sunday, November 4, 2012

Email/Inmail Checklist for Over-Enthuasiastic LinkedIn Members

I’m tired of deleting email after email from random LinkedIn Members – and I get them ALL the friggin time. 

As an example, here’s one I received recently – note how there’s no “Hi Rosie” for starters:

“Are you ready for change, but not sure how to implement it? Then I invite you to this FREE video conference On September 13, 2012.

GET THE LIFE YOU DESERVE

Set (or re-foucus) your vision

•ARE YOU LIVING BY YOUR CORE VALUES?•DO YOU FIND YOURSELF WANTING TO MAKE CHANGES IN YOUR LIFE AND SET GOALS BUT YOUR NOT SURE EXACTLY WHAT CHANGES YOU WANT TO MAKE OR GOALS YOU WANT TO SET?
•DO YOU WANT TO REPLACE BAD HABITS WITH GOOD ONES?
•DO YOU WANT TO STRETCH YOURSELF IN NEW WAYS?
•DO YOU WANT TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION?

This is a seminar for individuals and businesses who are looking to set a vision and reach their goals. With the hazy days of summer behind us, now is the perfect time to begin focusing on your personal life vision. Let me show you some easy to implement ways that will help you establish (or re-focus) a vision if you don't have one, or develop a new vision and finally achieve all those goals you have been thinking about.

You can register at: douchey website

Please help us spread the word.

[NAME]”



To which I replied to with:

Hi [THE LADY’S NAME],

I get heaps of these kind of messages & I ALWAYS delete them straight away.

And instead of deleting it right off the bat, I'm going to tell you what I would do if I were you:

1. Say "Hi [First name]"
2. Acknowledge we haven't spoken before (eg. I realise we haven't connected before but I'm wanting to tell you about [blah blah])
3. Make it shorter.
4. Thank the person for reading it!

Why would anyone who doesn't know you help you spread the word when you haven't even called them by their first name? You wouldn't go up to someone in real life, shake their hand and just say "Are you ready for a change???" - if you are that person, people would run when they see you coming

Always think of the person you're sending an email to. How would you react to your email?

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Rosie Addison
www.thenonboringwebdoctors.com
New Zealand

If you truly don’t want to piss people off, tick these things off before you send notice of your upcoming webinar to your entire LinkedIn list:

  1. Have you introduced yourself to me already?  If no, don’t send without an introduction FIRST.
  2. If you have introduced yourself, did I reply?  If not, re-introduce yourself before sending and make sure I reply.
  3. Is this relevant to me?  I live in New Zealand – is this about a webinar which will be at 1am for me?  If yes, then is it ACTUALLY worth it??  I suspect NOT.
  4. Is it several blocks of text?  If so, edit.  Get it down to the bare bones.
  5. Is it truly going to add value to my life?  
  6. No really??  Is it actually helpful??  Or do you just want money??
  7. Do you know who I am?
  8. Am I “just a number” to you?

If you’re truly, hand-on-heart satisfied you’ve gotten through the list – by all means contact me.  Not a problem.  Otherwise, look up “permission marketing” and come up with a strategy that doesn’t make you the annoying sales person everyone avoids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!