Tuesday, October 23, 2012

BEWARE of “Gurus”

Marketing Gurus.
 
Social Media Gurus.

Business Gurus.

[INSERT WHATEVER INDUSTRY] Gurus.

So why should you be wary of Gurus?  

BECAUSE WHO THE BLOODY HELL CALLS THEMSELVES A GURU???????

If I went up to someone in real life, shook their hand and said “Greetings, I’m Master Rosie, the Blog Siren” wouldn’t you want to get the hell away from me as fast as humanly possible???



People name themselves these things without thinking and that’s the thing:  THEY NAME THEMSELVES THESE THINGS. 

You know that guy at the party who comes up to you and says:  “I’m Bruce but you can call me ‘The Dude’”  and you naturally want to reply:  “OK Bruce, thanks Bruce, see you later Bruce”?

Same thing.

Look, I’m all for personal branding.  I think it’s fine to brand yourself and make yourself an expert in your field.  Problem is, there is a rapidly increasing amount of “experts” and the “fake-it-till-you-make-it” people often don’t make it. 

So here’s my theory:  Anyone who calls themselves a guru – on their website, in real life, on their business card, on their linkedIn profile -  eliminate from your list of prospective experts to seek advice from.  But if someone else refers to them as a Guru, that’s another story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!