Thursday, September 6, 2012

no one cares about you

This is the internet meme that inspired this post:



People primarily care about themselves.

It's amazing how many emails / LinkedIn-Inmail's I receive from other WebDesign & SEO companies who are barraging me with what THEY do - when they haven't even looked at my profile.  If that had actually checked me out, they would have seen I do what they do - but better and cheaper!


Then there's this guy I met about 5 years ago who calls me every 6 months or so - he wants me to join his pyramid scheme.  It's selling beauty products.

I don't know how many times I've told this guy:  "I DON'T WANT TO SELL BEAUTY PRODUCTS.  THEY DON'T INTEREST ME AT ALL.  NO I DON'T WANT TO SELL PILLS EITHER.  NO.  NO.  NOOOOOO."  In a much nicer way of course...but maybe that's my problem...

I've even told him all about my ambitions and it's like I can hear his eyes glazing over through the phone, then suggests I throw it in and sell all this other crap.  Hmmm, is it wise to sell something I have zero interest in?? 

So let's get this straight.

The best way to engage with any prospect is to:

Take an interest in them and..............

LISTEN TO THEM  (I know, revolutionary right??)


From there, build a relationship with them.  If they opt-in to an email list or join you on Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ etc. you can engage with them by:
  • Informing them
  • Entertaining them
  • Making them laugh
  • Making them think
  • Inspiring them
  • Subtly Telling them how you can save them heaps of money, time or stress

Be the white rabbit that people follow, not the skunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!