Thursday, September 20, 2012

7 things that will make your business fail if you don’t sort out


1.  Self Discipline


While you’re twittering & facebooking your life away, the customer’s are going elsewhere and your current customers are getting pissed off at the time you’re taking to complete your project. 

I’m the first person to admit I can get carried away with “oh look there’s a sparkly thing over there” syndrome!  There are ways to get some self discipline into you, but you have to get serious & do it. 

2.  You’re scared of the unknown

You’ll have your ups and downs work-wise.  It’s hard to know who’s going to be knocking on the door next and when that will be.  Sometimes it will feel like no one’s interested in your services at all and you’ll wonder what the hell you’re doing.  There are techniques to get around this too, but if it’s super deep-rooted, perhaps stick to a stable day-job.

3.  You’re too scared to approach people

When you’re starting out, you need to hunt out clients.  You do, there’s no way around it.  Never fear, confidence is definitely a skill you can conquer!  I did - I used to be too scared to make phone calls!!!  AND you’ll need to approach customers to actually GET paid once the job is DONE.  Awkward, but a must.

4.  You don’t want to deal with people

If you’re wanting to be an entrepreneur or “solo-preneur” (a buzz-word floating around at the moment) so you can be totally independent, think again.  I’m sorry but there’s no way around it – you’ll have clients.  Clients can be the worst.  

5.  You’re a big pushover

One month into my business and I had already encountered:  a client who wanted to haggle my price down to 20% (INSANE!!!!!), a client who wants me to refer customers to me & take 50%  of all takings and a client who not once but TWICE asked me to drive 50km to her.

If you can’t say no to people, you’ll wind up being a busy fool.  Perspective:  My Web Design prices are already cheaper than heaps of similar products on the market here in Auckland.  My brother-in-law recently bought a website for $6000+GST, I would’ve charged $1500! 

Stick to your guns & get the money you deserve for your awesome product.  Don’t be shy about it.

6. You don’t like being alone

Being a Business Owner, a Freelancer or an Entrepreneur can be a very lonely business.   You can physically be on your own for days on end, your only conversations virtual ones and you can emotionally be on your own for days, weeks and often, years.  You need to enjoy your own company and know how to ask for help. 

7.  You don’t like learning

To be successful, you have to learn how to run a business.  You have to be a great marketer, salesperson & know the basics of accounting so you don’t get in hot water with the tax department.  You’ll probably have to keep learning in your particular field as technology is constantly changing.  You don’t want to go the way of the travel agent.

I know this all reads like a big, fat drag but there are also SUPER AWESOME BENEFITS TO BEING AN ENTREPRENEUR!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!